Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My April Challenge

On April 18 I completed the Salt Lake City half marathon! This was no easy feat for me. I have been insanely busy lately. Unfortunately, training wasn't a priority for me. During the month before the race I moved, began renovating a house, spent a week in Hawaii, and got sick twice (once with influenza B and once with strep throat)! Those things didn't leave me with the time or energy to dedicate to my training schedule.

The week before my race I decided I wasn't going to race for a specific time set as my goal, but that my goal was going to be to not injure myself and to not walk at any point during the 13.1 miles that made up the half. I spent the week stretching, doing yoga, and rolling my legs. I also ate foods that were high in potassium, vitamin C, protein, and fiber. All of these things helped me stay healthy enough to race, prevented injury, and helped me rebuild my muscles after my race.

I love the SLC marathon because the course isn't too challenging until the end, and then it's only about two miles of a small hill. Unfortunately for me, those 2 miles of hills killed my time. I slowed down to almost 12 minute miles! Before that I was running close to a 9 minute mile. Around mile 5 my right knee started to ache and lock up. I got pretty worried but breathed through the discomfort and by mile 9 I didn't feel it anymore. The mind is a powerful thing and can play tricks on you. I swear mental strength is more important in a distance challenge than physical strength.

I ended up reaching both of my goals. I didn't walk for one second of the race, and I didn't hurt myself. My knee was a little stiff after the race but by the next day I couldn't feel any pain or discomfort. I think the entire experience was an all around success. The race was so fun. We had crowds all along the way cheering us on. There were bands on most corners, dance teams, and people having breakfast parties in their front yards while watching us run on! It was very fun and I loved it, but I am glad it's over. I always look forward to my future races, but they are almost over for the time being. I have one more relay race this summer but after that...no more running for me, because the next time I run a race like this I will have a baby!


I crossed the finish line in 2 hours and 11 minutes and my darling husband was right there to congratulate me.


Happily Healthy,
Courtney

1 comment:

  1. Great job Court! Its nice to have you back on the blog! I had like 5 friends run that race it sounds awesome!! I definitely love races, and the energy they give! I think we should definitely plan our next goal together! I am excited for your relay, I would love to run that one, Maybe I will next year. Congrats on a great race!

    ReplyDelete